I don’t normally open at the close with these match reports but I think in this case I might have to, if only just to say sorry, what?!

I’ll track back.

I arrived in Liverpool on Tuesday afternoon for a solo jaunt to Goodison Park. After Saturday’s last minute win against Chelsea I wasn’t altogether sure what to expect. I was hoping for a point; four points out of Everton and Chelsea would do me just fine. After scoping out a couple of pubs near the stadium and not finding much of a black and white contingent, I headed over to the ground. The team was announced with no Saint Maximan – not even on the bench – but that was the only real surprise. A concern was our total lack up front – there were no strikers on the bench whatsoever and only Joelinton starting.

The first ten minutes or so as both teams bedded into the game looked like it was fairly evenly matched. Sadly ten minutes is all our side seemed to have in them, and from then we were… really bad. I don’t know how to sugar coat it. Everton had total dominance over our side, and it was our defence that had to work extremely hard. At the thirty minute mark, Moise Kean exploited our already quite tired looking back three and netted Everton’s first goal. It felt inevitable. As ever, though, the away fans were in good voice and immediately rallied.

We hung on to the 1-0 scoreline until early in the second half, when a decent shot from Calvert-Lewin went over Dubravka and made it 2-0 to the Blues. After this is when it all started going a bit weird. Bruce hooked Atsu and brought on Krafth, who has been a bit of a non-starter this season and, more notably, is a defensive substitution. At 2-0 down. After that, Ciaran Clark who had been given a yellow was taken off for Lejeune. This one didn’t raise as many eyebrows but didn’t really cause much excitement either. What fools we were. Finally, Joelinton was taken off and replaced with Schär, absolute proof to us in the stands that we were doing damage limitation here and trying not to concede more.

I won’t lie. It was a boring twenty minutes or so up to the ninety minute mark. When the fourth official held up his board and indicated a minimum of four minutes stoppage time, I think everyone inwardly groaned. I know that I outwardly groaned. Idiots, the lot of us. Did Chelsea teach us nothing?? At 93 minutes or so we got a corner – it was chipped in, came out, went back in and Lejeune performed some remarkable gymnastics to get the ball past Jordan Pickford to make it 2-1. We celebrated, in the away end, but not madly. It was 94 minutes in! Nice that they didn’t keep a clean sheet, but we didn’t expect to pick anything up from there. Idiots, the lot of us. Did Chelsea teach us nothing??

Everton lost possession and we were given a free kick. Everyone stood up a bit taller. Could we? No. But maybe? Maybe?? The ball went from the halfway line over to Miggy, who couldn’t make it. It found its way to Lejeune, again, who smashes it straight into Jordan Pickford’s wee arms. Pickford, however, ignoring the rules of the game he’s paid very well to play for a living, was standing behind the line, in the goal. 2-2. 2-2 in the ninety fifth minute, and everyone started going mental. The players ran to the away supporters (best fans ever), several tops were thrown into the crowd (and several of the crowd removed theirs in solidarity with our players) and we had a point. Unbelievable.

Charlotte Robson